|Francis Frith - Egypt in 3D|
This is a view through the first pylon of Luxor temple. The negative is numbered 390 (altered from 380) and was probably taken in 1857.
At this time the temple was used as a grain store and the entrance is clearly blocked to prevent access to the stock. Just before the barrier, on the left, can be seen the entrance to the Abu Haggag mosque. This doorway is now suspended in mid air some 30 feet above ground level, since the temple was cleared of its accumulated debris, but the mosque could not be removed. (The mosque is now entered from outside the temple).
The colonnade that can be seen beyond the barrier was started by Amenhotep III but was completed only in the time of Tutankhamen who also added the decoration.
This site was last updated 03/31/10